Anatomic Radial Head Solutions Surgical Technique
The Acumed Anatomic Radial Head Solutions system is designed to provide an anatomic implant to replace the patient’s native radial head.
Designed in conjunction with Shawn W. O’Driscoll, MD, PhD, the Acumed Anatomic Radial Head Solutions 2 system includes 924 head and stem combinations and system-specific instrumentation to help streamline the surgeon’s experience in the operating room.
In addition to the Anatomic Radial Head Solutions 2 system, this set may include the Acutrak 2 Mini and Micro instruments and the Radial Head Plating System at the base of the tray to provide multiple solutions all in one set.
Watch a video overview of how the Anatomic Radial Head Solutions system offers expanded head and stem sizes, more straightforward instrumentation, and additional options designed to address fractures, reconstructions, and replacements of the patient’s native radial head.
Originally released in 2006, the prosthesis has been used in thousands of radial head procedures over multiple system generations and product line improvements. More than a decade of research and experience has influenced key refinements to the anatomic properties of the prosthesis.
1. The dish depth increases with head diameter, which is designed to help improve radiocapitellar wear characteristics over nonanatomic heads and the first generation Acumed Anatomic Radial Head.1,2
2. The implant’s medial surface is contoured to better replicate the lateral trochlear ridge facet, which may help avoid cartilage erosion.2
3. Contouring of the medial side of the head has been further refined to track against the radial notch of the ulna.2
4. The radial head is available in six sizes ranging from 18 to 28 mm, in 2 mm increments.
Stem Removal Tools – The ARH Removal Tool Shaft threads into standard and long stems to aid in stem removal during primary or revision surgery. The Cross Bar may be inserted through the ARH Removal Tool Shaft handle and be used as a surface for tapping the stem out with a mallet.
Radius Retractor – Designed to help elevate the radius, this tool may assist during reaming, trialing, and insertion of the implant.
Long Stem Implants: 6–12 mm diameters
In a continued effort to provide the most comprehensive radial head fracture solution on the market, Anatomic Radial Head Solutions 2 offers our Anatomic Radial Head prosthesis, Radial Head Plating System, and Acutrak 2 System in one tray.
1. Bachman DR, Thaveepunsan S, Park S, Fitzsimmons JS, An KN, O’Driscoll SW. The effect of prosthetic radial head geometry on the distribution and magnitude of radiocapitellar joint contact pressures. J Hand Surg Am. 2015;40(2):281-288.
2. Sahu D., et al.,Influence of radial head prosthesis design on radiocapitellar joint contact mechanics., J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2014.23(4): 456–462. doi: 10.1016/j/jse. 2013.11.028.
3. Shukla, D.R., et al., Canal preparation for prosthetic radial head replacement: rasping versus reaming, J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2013. 22(11): 1474–9